Battle of The Brushes: BH Cosmetics, ELF
+ Wet N Wild
First of all, Kylie couldn’t have dropped her overpriced brushes at a better time!
Listen, don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of a lot of Kylie Cosmetics products, however, $360 for 16 brushes and a roll up storage kit thing is ridiculous. Especially, when they look identical to some brands like ELF and Wet N Wild [just saying].
Anyways, today’s post is all about the battle of the ‘affordable’ makeup brushes. Now, I know affordable means something different to each person but these are technically considered ‘drugstore’ or ‘affordable’ and If you caught my ride or die brushes post or my makeup brushes 101 post you know I don’t pick a side when it comes to drugstore brushes vs high-end brushes. I love whatever works best for me and I always share products I think you guys will truly love.
Last, before we dive in, I’ll have you know I own many brushes from all three of these brands and I love some of them just as much as my high-end brush purchases. It just so happened that on Black Friday I went on a brush binge because I wanted some new brushes and these three companies had amazing deals. I originally wanted some new eye brushes but after looking on the sites I ended up purchasing a range of eye brushes as well as face/powder brushes [with the exception of the Wet N Wild set which has basically everything].
Battle of The Brushes:
1. ELF Cosmetics: First, if you haven’t purchased any ELF products, you are missing out. I love how affordable they are and that the quality is great. Don’t get me wrong some products can be hit or miss at times but for the most part, they are freakin’ awesome. I recently did a huge Black Friday haul so I will do a separate post with all those products + some first impressions [who knows maybe even a video?!] 😉 but for now let’s focus on the brushes.
The brushes I purchased were:
- ELF Beautifully Bare Blending Brush @ $6.00 USD
- ELF Pointed Powder Brush @ $6.00 USD
- ELF Flat Eyeshadow Brush @ $3.00 USD
- ELF Eyeshadow Brush@ $1.00 USD
- ELF Eyeshadow Brush@ $3.00 USD
- Total = $19.00 USD but since I bought these on Black Friday they were half off so they were about $9.50 total for five brushes.
Not only was the sale amazing [since the whole site was on sale], but again the quality of the brushes are incredible for the price point. Do I have more expensive eye brushes that work better? Maybe for certain techniques or looks but the eyeshadow brushes I purchased work exactly the same if not better than some of the higher priced eyeshadow brushes I have. Also, the face brushes are super soft and they hold the perfect amount of product. I find that sometimes powder brushes are too soft and don’t hold product well or they aren’t super dense so they don’t blend well. I am happy to say both of the face brushes worked beautifully. From the dollar brush to the three and six dollar brushes, the quality is pretty much the same as other affordable brushes I have purchased.
2. Wet N Wild Pro Brush Set: I love me a brush set that costs $30 for 10 brushes not $360 for 16 brushes… JK sorry I had to. First, because the two sets look very similar [silver, sleek handles] and two I just can’t with that price tag Kylie! Anyways, I grabbed this set when it was on sale for half price so $15 bucks for 10 brushes… HECK YEAH!
The set includes:
- 1 Dome Pencil Eye Brush
- 1 Tapered Blending Brush
- 1 Flat Contour Brush
- 1 Precision Setting Brush
- 1 Large Powder Brush
- 1 Precision Setting Brush
- 1 Blush Brush
- 1 Tapered Highlighting Brush
- 1 Fluffy Blending Brush
- 1 Precision Flat Face Brush
This set is perfect for experienced beauty enthusiasts OR beginners. Let me tell you if they had this set available back in my high school days I would have been a pro much earlier on [but this was also before YouTube tutorials] so us teens really had our work cut out! Anyways, the brushes are so soft and fluffy but again they are also dense so they hold the product perfectly. Two of my all time favorite brushes are their powder brushes and small eyeshadow brushes [I think the shadow brushes are 99 cents and the powder brushes are $3] so now that they came out with ‘pro’ brushes. I’m floored. I really can’t believe how amazing the quality is. I really love these brushes. Ps- I found the brush set from this post at a local Walgreens.
3. BH Cosmetics: I love me some BH Cosmetics. I know they have been getting a lot of love for the sassy shade they threw at Kylie during her brush announcement on twitter [exhibit 1 and 2] but I have loved them long before that. If you have been around FCN for a while, you will know we have nothing but love for their eye shadow palettes and brushes. I also love that they ALWAYS have some kind of a sale going on so if you miss one, chances are there is another sale around the corner. They are another company that always delivers on quality at an affordable price. Again, they had an incredible Black Friday sale and
I was in the market I was binging on new makeup brushes so naturally now I have a few new favorites…
The brushes I purchased were:
- BH Cosmetics Brush 16 – Deluxe Fan Brush @ $8.99 [currently on sale for $6.65!]
- BH Cosmetics Studio Pro Brush 2 – Tapered Powder Brush @ $5.99 [currently on sale for $4.43!]
- BH Cosmetics Brush V1 – Vegan Large Powder Brush @ $5.99 [currently on sale for $4.43!]
- BH Cosmetics Smokey Eye Essential 7 Piece Brush Set @ $9.99 [currently on sale for $7.39!]
- Total = $26.96. Again, I got these on sale so I paid about $20.
Omg their shadow brushes… I’m in love. Some of my current shadow brushes are from BH Cosmetics but most are from Luxie. Luxie brushes can range from $13-$19 and more just for a single brush so I love that BH offers similar brushes for like a third of the cost. I’ll list my favorites from the shadow set below but HOLY SMOKES guys this fan brush… it was probably the most expensive Black Friday brush purchase [$8.99 but got it for around $6!] and I want like ten more. The way this fan brush slays my highlight is like nothing I have ever seen before. It literally makes the highlighter powders look airbrushed and SO even. It is amazing!
The winner? Well I honestly love a few of each so I can’t choose just one company. The brushes are very similar in price and quality so which set do I prefer? Again, it’s honestly it’s hard to pick since the brushes are all for different uses but I will tell you my favorites!
My top brushes are the following:
- BH Cosmetics Fan Brush: dang this brush can beat a highlight like no other! I have used so many different highlighter brushes and sponges and techniques and NOTHING smooths out my highlight like this brush. I use it pretty much daily at this point and with so many different types of highlighter formulas and each time I get the same butter-smooth, glowy finish.
- Wet N Wild Flat Contour Brush: I have a few contour brushes but this one hits all the right spots. It doesn’t make my skin look patchy when I apply the product and it buffs and blends like a champ!
- ELF Pointed Powder Brush [the BH Studio Pro Brush 2 was a close second!]: I was obviously on the hunt for a good pointed powder brush since I bought two very similar brushes. I wanted something I could use to really pack on the powder in a more precise way. Both of these brushes are dense and give a flawless finish. I love using these to apply translucent powders.
- BH Cosmetics Smokey Eye Essential Brushes number 3, 4, and 5 from the set: The other item I was on the hunt for this holiday season was some new shadow brushes. I really wanted some solid brushes that weren’t going to break the bank but would fit my eye shape a little nicer than some of the larger brushes I currently own. Aside from the fact you get 7 brushes in this set for basically a little over $1 per brush, the handles are lightweight and they actually feel pretty cool. I’m not sure how to explain it but they are a slightly different material than most. The brushes are the perfect size for my eyes and I have been using them all non-stop but especially 3,4, and 5.
- Wet N Wild Precision Setting Brush: YUP exactly what I wanted. I was looking for the perfect brush to set my under eyes and I’m so happy to say I found what I was looking for. I love, love, love the powder brushes Wet N Wild offers but these ‘pro brushes’ are everything.
- ELF Flat Eyeshadow Brush: Again, I was looking for very specific shadow brushes this year and this flat brush was one of them. I have been trying out some new eye shadow techniques and looks so this was one brush I really wanted to find. I love that this brush is very crisp and flat. That it fits just right and isn’t too big or too small for the lid.
If you are someone who is just starting out with makeup OR even if you are a pro, I highly, highly recommend all three of these brands and there brushes.
Here is your Pin-able:
Do you own any of these brushes?
What are you favorite brushes?
Comment below and tell us.