The WORST Drugstore Beauty
Products of 2017
First, let’s start this off the right way… HAPPY FRIDAY!
So I know I constantly talk about products I love on here and it’s rare that I really don’t like a product but these products were just terrible [for me].
Let me start by saying that 1. I am not here to bash any brands and that most of these brands create some of my ABSOLUTE favorite Holy Grail products it’s just these particular ones didn’t work for me this year. 2. I’m pretty sure most of these launched in 2017 or end of 2016 so if they are end of 2016 I apologize but they still don’t work for me. 3. This post was originally going to be a best and worst products post but since the best products post is such a monster I decided to break it up into two posts. I really wanted to do a video for this so if I can get one up next week during the best products post I will be sure to update this post and include it. In other words, the best is yet to come.
With that being said majority of these products I purchased myself so I spent my own money and as always, these are my own, honest opinions.
Before you go, comment below
and tell me your worst beauty product of 2017.
The WORST drugstore beauty products of 2017:
Since these products did not work for me and I wouldn’t recommend them, I am not going to link to the products. Any of these products can be found at your local drugstore like Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Ulta, etc.
Face: I am happy to say that I didn’t find any foundations that I didn’t love in 2017. I know there were a lot out there but all of the ones that I tried I thoroughly enjoy and use on a daily basis. If you want to see my favorite drugstore foundations, you can click here but otherwise let’s get into it.
- LA Girl Pro Conceal: So I bought two of these HD pro conceal products one was a ‘highlighter’ and one was a concealer. I must have hated the concealer so much that I threw it out because it is no where to be found. On my skin, it made my under-eye area look very cake-y and it constantly creased even with powder. I know this was a favorite for some but for me it was a flop. Maybe it was the color I chose but I’m pretty good at color matching these days so it is a no for me. The highlighter product was a literal thick, chunky, silver paste. I couldn’t blend it or find any way to make it look nice so again for me it was a flop.
- Bronzers: Let me start this by saying that this company makes my holy grail bronzer that I have been using daily for over 15 years. With that being said, I can’t stand the Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer. I genuinely don’t get the hype around this product except for the fact it smells incredible. I know this is a huge favorite in the beauty community and maybe it is because I like my complexion a bit more tan looking, but this product does not show up on my face. It’s almost like a very nice coconutty smelling translucent powder for me. I tried for a very long time to like it because I love their other bronzer so much but after forcing myself to use it over and over I decided that it’s just not working for me. Another bronzer that is just not my personal cup of tea is their powder palette mineral glow pearls in bronze pearl. It’s pretty maybe as like a very sheer highlight but for a bronzer I prefer not to have a glittery shimmer all over my face.
- Face Powder: Again, I love Physicians Formula, but this BB InstaReady powder is also supposed to be a bronzer and I don’t even consider it a translucent powder. There is no part of this product that sticks to my face. I don’t get it. I tried for a very long time to use it as like a translucent face powder before the gym and it just doesn’t work.
Highlighters + Blushes: I love a good highlight but these… ugh I wanted them to work so badly!
- If you caught my huge ELF haul, then you already know about the chalky mess that is their ‘white pearl’ highlighter and the tube of paste that is their highlighting pearl paint. It makes me so sad to add these to my worst products list but I cannot make them work. At all.
- Wet N Wild ColorIcon in Rose Champagne: Let me say that I am only referring to this particular shade. The other shades in this like shimmery-blush collection are beautiful however, this rose champagne shade just isn’t pigmented and falls flat.
- NYX Mosaic Powder: This may be a end of 2016 product but I haven’t used it aside from the one time I bought it so I can’t remember. The blush looks like it is going to be very pigmented and pretty but it really isn’t. It has some parts that are matte and some that are shimmer but no matter where I tried to swatch nothing really happened when I applied it to my face. This blush was also kind of patchy which was weird. This one is in the shade Love so maybe a different shade may work better? I don’t know.
- Essence Mosaic Blush: Maybe it is just the mosaic blush vibe but this is another blush that just didn’t show up. It is a pretty shade in the pan but it just doesn’t transfer to anything when I apply it to my face. I love essence. I think they are a great, affordable drugstore brand but this one didn’t work for me.
Eyes: Another area that I am happy to say I didn’t really have any drugstore eye shadow palette complaints but I did have two products that were fails.
- Revlon Photoready Eye Art: UGH I really wanted these to work 1. because they were pricey like $10 or something per wand and 2. I wanted these to be a potential dupe for my $20 stila shadows but nope. The shadow sides wouldn’t apply the product evenly and the product literally kept moving every time I touched it and tried to apply it. It was just so weird. The blue stick wasn’t pigmented and was patchy. The glitters were pretty but nothing special. Overall it just wasn’t great. I prefer the Colourpop Supernova Shadows for $7 thanks.
- Glamour Dolls Bow Down Palette: Maybe it is because I don’t tend to wear purples, but this palette just wasn’t my tones. I’m not sure why I even have it to be honest but it doesn’t help that the shadows themselves were just super chalky and felt a bit cheap.
- NYX Epic Ink Liner: I feel like I would like this liner if it wasn’t so dang SHINY! I personally prefer a matte liner so the fact this baby shines like no other just doesn’t vibe with me. The applicator pen is nice but again the formula just applied shiny and dried shiny. Not cute.
- Essence Eyeliner Pen: I really don’t want to add another Essence product because I love their stuff but this pen dried out after like three uses. Granted it was probably under $5 but three uses? Come on!
- Covergirl Total Tease Mascara: I do not understand this applicator wand. I think they were trying to make it easier to apply the mascara to both lash lines but it actually makes it more difficult to apply. The formula isn’t bad but I can’t use this wand without wanting to throw it across the room.
Lips: I just realized when I was going through my stash, I have a ton of lipsticks. Like a solid 40+ so the fact I only found two drugstore lipsticks that I didn’t like, I feel like that was a win.
- Wet N Wild ColorIcon Lip Gloss: This gloss was super chunky and just yellow. I was really hoping it would be a pretty like champagney-gold but it just looks ridiculous on my lips. It also is super uncomfortable to wear.
- NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick: I’m just going to throw it out there, I don’t like the formula. The shades and pigments are nice I just personally don’t like the formula or the way it wears throughout the day. I feel like it is a bit messy for me.
FYI, some of the swatches below were with multiple swipes. The powders I had to really press down hard with my fingers to get any form of a swatch.
Want even more?
How about our 2017 Skincare Awards!
Here is your pin-able:
Tell me what the worst drugstore beauty product was that you used in 2017.
Did you like this post? Was it helpful?